Welcome to my blog! I'm a professional dog trainer. I train dogs in the homes of my clients, at their convenience. So...I spend a lot of time driving, thinking, and praying. These are my musings, put down on electronic paper. Pull up a comfy chair, get something refreshing to drink, a snack if you like, and enjoy the journey...

Sunday, June 6, 2010

What's in a Name?

The other day, as I was driving, I started thinking about all of the various names of dogs that I've trained. I just really enjoy knowing why or how someone comes up with the name they give their dog. I've trained many with "people names," like Sam, Glen, Jeff, Henry, Annie, Sadie, Katie, Abbey, Mia, etc. And I've trained dogs with typical "dog" names, "Tiny" for a Mastiff, "Sandy" for a caramel colored dog, "Blackie" for a black dog, "Baby" for any spoiled dog, etc. There are the "cute" names folks give their dogs, "Gizmo," "Murphy," "Cupcake," "Banjo," etc. And there are names for places or locations, like "London," "Raleigh," "Dakota," "Winston," etc. The names that always intrigue me most are the ones that are unique to the dog or owner, like "Eggo," or "Sheet Rock," "Zubin," etc. I always have to ask about the story behind those names!

Sometimes, if the dog had a previous home, those owners just keep the name the dog already knows. That makes sense, and it sure simplifies things for everyone involved, including the dog! In my case, with my own dog, that just wasn't happening! My current dog, "Rugby," was a rescue. His name at the shelter was "Tank." I'll bet when you hear that name, you're getting a mental picture of a big, broad, really solid looking dog, right? Well...Rugby is a 19 pound widget, and that's dripping wet! He's hardly a "Tank" and we just couldn't keep that name for the poor little guy. I was going to name him "Turbo," because he's just a bundle of energy, and sort of bounces and blazes his way through life. Think of a whirlwind, and you're picturing "Rugby," all 19 pounds of him! However, my daughter just couldn't stand the name "Turbo" and set about finding a better name for him. Just so we're clear on this, Lindsay's idea of "better name" translates to: "name that Lindsay likes/wants!" I was open to new ideas, as long as it was something I liked and fit the dog as well. So, long story short, she found "Rugby" and it is a name that fits him well. He's like a little guy who plays football through life with no protective gear. He's rough and tumble, and goes all out when he approaches almost any situation. Just ask the birds and bunnies who live in our yard! I'm pretty sure they all call him "Rugby, the Scary Chaser" or "Rugby, the Barking Annoyance." On the other hand, isn't it all about perspective? I think "Rugby" sees himself as "Rugby, the Brave," or "Rugby, the Fierce," or "Rugby, the Great Protector,"...you get the idea. He just has no idea he's a 19 pound widget. He thinks he's an 800 pound gorilla whose main objective in life is to chase anything that moves, most often with a lot of barking involved.

It made me wonder about that perspective, and the attitude that comes along with it. If we all saw ourselves the way that Rugby sees himself, there's just not much in life we'd shrink away from trying. We'd press forward with excitement, enthusiasm, confidence, and maybe some excited barking too...just to pave the way for us and let the world know we were coming. How many times do we shy away from doing something we'd really like to do...all out of our fear over who we think we are, or who others say we are, instead of who we should know that we are. Sometimes, I think if I'm honest with myself, I'm more afraid of succeeding than I am of failing. So, I try to face fears on a regular basis, just to push myself where I'd rather not go. It's good to stretch ourselves beyond our self-made safety nets. And anytime I forget this...on a daily basis, Rugby goes wildly chasing a bunny or bird, barking his confidence the entire way...just to remind me of who I need to be too!!

1 comment: